Church of St. Lucy, Jurandvor (Baška)
The Church of St. Lucy in Jurandvor near Baška, Krk, Croatia is a Romanesque Catholic church from the year 1100 with two major medieval Croatian artifacts: the Baška Tablet, and a checkerboard-pattern carving on the bell tower that is suspected to be one of the first instances of the Croatian coat of arms. Baška Tablet (Baščanska ploča) – the old Croatian monument written in the Glagolitic script in circa 1100. It is one of the oldest stone-carved monuments of the Croatian language contains information about the construction of the Church of St. Lucy and a record of Croatian King Zvonimir’s donation. It represents a significant source for the history of the Croatian people, language and development of the Croatian Glagolitic script. It shows the sovereignty of Croatian King Zvonimir as the donor of land on the island; in addition to its linguistic and literary significance, the tablet is historically significant because of the first mention of the ruler’s name in the folk language.
Read more on the Official Website
Have you visited this place?